Ok, I did not just bring up Wiarton because he’s cute; there is a reason for it. With more cold comes more work meetings, networking, events, etc. which will be indoors. Many of these events often happen over a meal because, well, everyone likes to eat.
In this post I’m going to veer a little but away from advice we normally give about what to say in a professional setting but rather move toward how to dine.
So following are a few tips on proper Dining Etiquette:
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early… this applies for almost everything you're expected to be at
- If there is a toast join in and stand, especially if that is what the host or organizer does
- To start, unfold the napkin and put it on your lap
- Wait until all individuals at the table have been given their food before you start eating
- Chew with your mouth closed and completely finish what you’re eating before you start talking
- Avoid slurping or making loud noises with your chewing or drinking
- Avoid keeping your hand, arm or elbow on the table
- Don’t text and turn your phone on silent
- Make polite conversation with everyone and avoid yelling across the table or leaving anyone out of the conversation
- Allow the person you are talking to, to finish their sentence before you interject
So those are the basics. As long as you keep at least these ten tips in mind you will be sure to please your guests, well at least in terms of the way you eat. (I can’t speak for what you choose to say, that will take another blog post in itself!).
Btw, you're welcome for saving you from stuffing that last piece of lasagna in your already full mouth while future employer watches in disgust :) Until spring folks!