The job interview. The most nerve-racking, anxiety-raising, sweat-through-my-shirt terrifying experience in the world… or is it? For most, the answer is yes, BUT we’re here to change that. With the right preparation, you can strut out of your next interview knowing that you NAILED it. Read till the end to find out how to practice your skills AND enter a contest for a MOVIE NIGHT PACKAGE!
We’ll walk you through the 4 P’s of successful interviewing with more tips on how to feel calm & collected walking into your next interview.
- Know yourself. What are your skills, interests and values that relate to the position? We know, it’s a tough concept to grab, so check out the self-assessment tools found in the Student Resources section of the CareerZone Website to learn about yourself.
- Know your accomplishments. How do the skills listed in the job posting relate to your own skills & experiences? Practice explaining them through the SOAR technique here
- Know the organization. Do some research on the company’s website to find out about their mission statement, strategic plans, company culture etc, as well as the job posting to understand your requirements!
- Write out your answers, and read them out loud. Trust us, it works
- Keep it natural. Don’t memorize them, just the key points that you want to resonate with the employer!
- Prep some questions. When the employer asks you “do you have any questions for me?” have some prepared!
- Leave that lasting impression by showcasing a positive attitude and eagerness for the job.
- Sit straight, with your shoulders facing the interviewer. Be engaged, and try to avoid the nervous fidgeting!
- Actively listen to questions, maintain eye contact with confidence
- Be direct. Try to avoid rambling or going off-topic
- If you’ve read this far, you’re already more prepared than most interviewees. Feel reassured that you’ve prepared for your interview, and walk in with confidence!
MOCK INTERVIEW MADNESS!
All this month CareerZone is running a CONTEST where you can practice your interview skills using "Interview Stream"
- How do you participate you might ask?
- It only takes a few minutes of your time to participate!
2. Click on "Conduct an Interview" and choose "Create for Me"
3. Complete "Mock Interview Madness Contest" Interview
Don't forget to check all our social medias (Instagram: @brockcareerzone or Twitter: @BrockCareerZone) for a contest running this week as well!