Making the Most of LinkedIn
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a social networking platform that provides individuals with the opportunity to connect with other professionals, share information and resources, explore opportunities, and promote one-self and/or brand awareness with others.
Why is LinkedIn Important?
LinkedIn gives you the chance to create and promote your online presence. It helps you build connections with people and organizations that can help you find work and get involved in your field. Having a detailed LinkedIn profile can increase your chances of getting notice from employers and can help establish your creditability as a professional in your industry.
Here are some tips on how to create a LinkedIn Profile:
1. Understand how a LinkedIn profile is similar and different from your resume:
- Both showcase professional highlights and individual personalities. Therefore, depicting your profile in a professional manner is important!
2. Steps in creating your LinkedIn Profile:
- Your Headline should be short, concise and memorable.
- Your Photo should be professional and only you!
- Your Summary should be short and simple, including a brief overview of your goals, qualifications, and experience.
- Your Experience (Work, Volunteer etc.…) should be relevant and include a summary.
- Your Education should include any concentration/specializations and honours/awards.
- Your Profile should be kept relevant by updating your experiences, status and sharing captivating content on a regular basis.
- Customize your LinkedIn URL as it is easier for people to reach you.
(Information retrieved from Brock University CareerZone)
3. LinkedIn Quick Tips for Job Search
- Personalize your brand. Potential recruiters seek specific job titles when looking for candidates. (Information retrieved from Brock University CareerZone)
- Be active and maintain connections.
4. LinkedIn as a Networking Tool
- When you are using LinkedIn for employment purposes, networking is essential.
- Join groups, stay active with people in your industry!
- Leverage the alumni feature to get connected to others in your field.
- Reach out to people, grow your network:
- Seek personal endorsements of skills and parallels in school, programs and experiences.
Remember, LinkedIn should be a substitute for real-world networking. As such, it is not a replacement!
Career Zone is happy to assist! Use our Career Zone portal, where LinkedIn resources are available in the Student Resources Section of the Career Zone website.
Follow us on our social media to stay up to date with all our upcoming events and workshops!
Written By: Mikaela Sifflet