Shop for Jobs event on September 29, 2015 from 12:00pm to 6:00pm. This is a great opportunity for Brock University and Niagara College students to find a part-time job. Here are some suggestions to make the most of your job fair experience for this specific opportunity and also any other job fairs you attend in the future:
1. Research the participating stores - This would be beneficial because it will help you to see what stores you need to be tailoring your resume and cover letters to and to also find out information about the employers.
2. Create a resume and cover letter for each of the stores or positions you would like to apply to- Bringing resume's and cover letters will show the employer that you are prepared and have put thought into working for them. It is also an awesome way to showcase your talents!
3. Dress professionally- Make sure you dress to impress the employers you are applying to. Typically you should accommodate your style with the stores style, however, remember that just because a store may sell a specific item such as jeans does not mean you should wear them for an interview.
4. Bring pens, notebooks and planners- Be prepared for on the spot interviews and the opportunity to take notes to show the employer you are really interested in the position. It is also important to have a planner so that you can schedule a future interview and not have to reschedule if you see you are busy.
5. Ask Questions- Asking questions shows the employer that you are interested in the position. Some possible questions you can ask the representative include:What qualities are you looking for in your new hires? Would the work hours be flexible with my school schedule?
6. Finally, have fun! This is an opportunity for you to gain experience in networking and interviewing. It is important that you have a good experience so that you feel confident for future opportunities like this.
For the Shop for Jobs event specifically, you can look for some of these employers to be participating: Arie, Dynamite, Garage, EB Games, Old Navy, Sears, Winners, Hudson's Bay and many more.. Also, follow the event on Twitter #ShopForJobsFair14.
Come into the Career Resource Centre to pick up the resource labelled 11 Tips for Success at Shop for Jobs and also for a free resume and cover letter review!
Sarah Mitchinson, Senior Career Assistant
Post a Comment