- Ask for a reference in good time.
- Don't just ask for a reference, ask for a good reference.
- Be ready to provide your referee with any pertinent information for them to use to write the reference.
- Send a thank-you letter following the receipt of the reference.
- Just ask for a reference, ask to meet with the potential referee about the possibility of them being a good reference for you.
- Ask any less than two weeks before the reference is due.
- Send out a mass email to all of the possible references.
- Use someone who hasn't seen your work in the area that is listed on the application.
- Assume that the reference will say yes.
- Take offence if the reference says no.
Sr. Career Assistant